Using the vision co-created by the various indigenous communities and livelihood groups in Lamu, poet, Mohammed Omar created a poem to encompass the issues of concern and ideals for Lamu, dubbed “Lamu Vision 2030”. The vision was first created at the 2.5day workshop held by Save Lamu.
“Ruwaza yetu ni kujenga jamii iliyoendelea, yenye nguvu kiutamaduni, kiuchumi na kisiasa, na inayojitahidi kumiliki na kutunza rasilmali zetu na kuhifadhi mazingira”.
WA LAMU TUUNGANENI TUTETEE HAKI ZETU (People of Lamu Let’s Unite, so that We can Fight for our Rights)
Written by: Mohammed Omar1. Nataka kuisaili, serikali kwa yakini I wish to interrogate, the government with sincerity Kwa chuki zilokabili, nawalo Lamu mjini On the hatred that exists and animosity Kati ya sisi wawili, mwenye makosa ninani? Between the two of us, who acted incorrectly?
2. Sisi ni raiya wema, toka zama zakadimu We have been responsible, for decades long gone Twatunga zetu heshima, si waoga mufahamu We preserve our integrity, without fear of anyone kwa dhati tumesimama, kuwapinga madhulumu We have stood against you fully honest and open
3. Wachani zenu haraka, mamboe yachunguzeni Stop your haste, and start to investigate Tulitakalo hakika, twawaomba pulikani What we want is for you to listen to our state Amani Lamu twataka, ibaki kama zamani We want peace in Lamu as in the past dates
4. Poti ilofikiriwa, kwenye ardhi ya Lamu We asked about the proposed port in Lamu Nani aloshauriwa, kwa swala hili muhimu Who was consulted on this important subject? Ni nguvu imetumiwa, kutaka kutudhulumu It was only abuse of power that was enforced
5. Sisi nanyi hatuteti, ladhicha kwetu sishani We don’t wish to fight, as war is not proper Wala hatupingi poti, la kujengewa mijini Nor do we oppose the port to be built on our land Lakini kwa masharuti, tukaeni tupangeni But we have our demands, let’s sit and plan 6. Tuwe ni jamii bora, kwa mila na tamaduni A better community, both heritage and culture Tuwe kwenye mazingira, yakuridhisha nyoyoni In an environment that satisfies our nature Daima tuwe twang’ara, wenzetu watutamani So forever we can shine, for others to admire in future
7. Uchumi usitawike, visiwani na barani Our island and mainland economy should not be left behind Shida kwetu ziondoke, zisirudi asilani Our problems should be eliminated for all times Daima tufurahike, furaha ziso kifani Forever dwelling in happiness, with no match of any kind
8. Tuwe na ulinzi bora, zimakinike nafusi To have better security, so that we can be at ease Tulipo tuwe imara, tusiwe na wasi wasi To have more stability, without any worries Wezi wa mali kupora, wawe hawana nafasi Making no room for criminals and thieves
9. Ufikapo uchaguzi, kura zetu tupigeni When the elections come, our votes we shall cast Kuchagua viongozi, wenye hadhi na thamani To select leaders of dignity and self-worth Ili wawe watetezi, wetu tulo waamini So that they can be our fighters that we trust